Monday, January 26, 2015

Excerpt from UNDER THE HOOD by Lainey-Jo Charles

From the NAUGHTY HEARTS boxed set - Available February 1st

Copyright © Lainey-Jo Charles, 2015

When he opened the door to the truck, not only was he blasted by the heat that had quickly warmed up the truck cab, but he also experienced Lisbeth’s scent in concentrated form. The scent he caught brief snippets of when she was in the garage filled his nostrils and lungs until he imagined he could taste her.

The scent of berries. That’s what the scent was. No wonder he could almost taste her. No wonder he wanted desperately to taste her.

God, he hoped her scent didn’t leave his truck cab.

He was so screwed.

“How long do you think it’s gonna take?”

Her voice interrupted his musings and he tried kick starting his brain into working and thinking and coming up with answers to questions. The car. She’s asking about her car.

“I’ll be able to give you a better estimate of that tomorrow after I’ve gone in and made sure everything has been catalogued so we’re working from a master repairs list.”

“Oh.” She turned from him and looked back out the front window at the closed bay door shielding her car from sight. “That makes perfect sense.” She paused again before turning toward him. “I guess I need to line up a rental car, depending on how long it’ll take.”

“Yeah, I’ll definitely call you tomorrow morning with what I know so you can figure all that out.”

A small grin broke out that she tried to hide.

“What?”

“It’s nothing. Really.” She shook her head and turned toward the side passenger window, but not before he saw the blush spreading across her cheeks.

“Come on. Tell me.”

“I was just thinking, here I’ve got a guy who’s taking me home, and I’ve already gotten a promise that I’ll get a phone call from him tomorrow morning. All the single ladies would be jealous.”

“I seriously doubt that.” Was she…flirting with him? “I don’t exactly have women beating down my door.” Why had he said that? He needed to install a filter between his brain and his mouth.

“Uh-huh. I hear you.”

He let it go. There were exactly zero women interested in him, well maybe that number was now one, but it wasn’t like he had this super busy social life. He picked up his coffee mug from the holder and took a sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment