Sunday, December 6, 2015

My Favorite Christmas Things

The Naughty Chances anthology is now available – click here!  It includes my Christmas story, Sophie’s Christmas Gargoyle.  Most people don’t automatically thing “gargoyle” when we talk about Christmas, but for some reason I do.  This is actually my second Christmas gargoyle story. The first one, A Gargoyle’s Christmas, is currently out of print, but I hope to have it available again before next Christmas. In the meantime, you can get your Christmas gargoyle fix from the story in Naughty Chances, along with lots of other terrific winter and holiday set tales.

Why gargoyles at Christmas?  I have no idea. I set up the trope in my first story that gargoyles can only take human form during the short days before and after the winter solstice, which makes them naturals for the season. Why did I do that?  I don’t know. It just seemed like a cool idea and was a great way to build tension to the stories. The person who loves them has to be able to show they love them just as they are before the gargoyle can become fully human year-round.

So, now, a few of my other favorite holiday things:

  • Outdoor light displays: the bigger, gaudier, more raucous the better!
  • Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks: I have to limit myself to only a couple per season, but it’s a favorite treat.
  • Chocolate chip cookies –  I once asked my mom for the recipe for her chocolate chip cookies, and she handed me a package of Nestle’s morsels, pointed to the back, and said, “There it is” Dang those are good!
  • Candles, especially scented ones.
  • Wrapped presents under the tree. It’s all about the anticipation.
  • Watching my kids and now my grandkids unwrapping those presents.  The excitement and enthusiasm is so contagious.


What are your holiday favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment