Friday, October 23, 2015

Life meets fiction by Alexa Silver

Sometimes life and fiction collide, and this was really brought home to me this weekend.

I’m very lucky to have been able to attend several shows from my favorite band in the last few years, and have been blessed with excellent seats. This weekend, I attended a show and was seated in the front row. Right in front of me was a bank of speakers, about three feet high. The stage was probably four feet in height. Great for leaning on at the end of the show, but I digress.

During the change up between songs the full band played, and several solo spots from the various uber-talented vocalists, a keyboard was brought to the front and several roadies had to work hard and fast to get the keyboard and mic set up. Trust me, these guys work hard and efficiently, and it is usually less than three minutes to do this.

One of the roadies, while setting up the mic stand, took a step backward. He was right at the very edge of the stage, tumbled off headfirst, hit the speakers on his way down, and landed on his back and head. Within a few feet of me. He lay there stunned for a minute or two amidst cries of “don’t move” while several of us rushed over.

It was a very surreal moment. As the roadie shook off the help, I glanced up at the stage and the band members were there, very concerned. Fortunately—very fortunately—roadie Pete was okay and returned to the stage amidst cheers and applause.  Thank god he’s okay. If the stage had been only a foot or two higher, or he’d fallen just a little bit differently, I might be typing a much sadder blog post.

After the show, my friend and I were chatting, and she immediately brought up a story I have in the Enchanted Eternally anthology, called Muse. In it, there’s a shooting at a concert and the fan in the front row tries desperately to save the lead singer. If I tell you more, I’ll spoil the surprise, but I hope you’ll check it out. Fellow Naughty Literati Belle Scarlett and Charlotte Boyett-Compo are in the anthology as well.

As I was writing that pivotal first scene in Muse, I wondered what the reactions from audience, performers, and crew might be, and I tossed around a lot of ideas before the scene crystallized, and looking back on Roadie Pete’s fall, I was surprised how close Blayze’s emotions were to my own in that moment.

Fortunately, she manages to save the day, and she and Slate go on an incredible adventure of the heart.

I fully admit, rock stars are my weakness as a writer and my catnip as a reader. If you enjoy books about rock stars as much as I enjoy writing them, I hope you’ll check out Naughty Escapes and Naughty Reunions, and my stories Get Away and Homeward Bound. A-list actor Bryson meets former boy band singer Kell, and they have their own sun and fun times before reality crashes in.  Both stories are fully standalone, but I’d love it if you’d like to read both!

Happy reading!
Alexa

Enchanted Eternally is out now and you can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Eternally-Jan-Springer-ebook/dp/B015YEHB76

Naughty Escapes: http://www.amazon.com/Naughty-Escapes-Eleven-Vacation-Getaways-ebook/dp/B00ZJJ1QSC/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Naughty Reunions:  http://www.amazon.com/Naughty-Reunions-Romance-Regina-Kammer-ebook/dp/B0154ZXU5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445260604&sr=1-1&keywords=naughty+reunions




No comments:

Post a Comment